A while ago, I wrote to Senator Reid regarding the “Monsanto Rider” that allows Monsanto’s genitically-engineered crops to stay in the ground while judicial review of their “de-regulated” status is underway. Here’s my response from Senator Reid:
Dear Ms. Rock:
Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about policies affecting genetically engineered crops during the appropriations process. I appreciate hearing from you regarding this important issue.
I took note of your concerns regarding Section 735 of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013 (H.R. 933), better known as the “Monsanto rider.” This provision allows genetically engineered crops that have been de-regulated by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to stay in the ground, notwithstanding pending legal challenges. Specifically, the provision instructs the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for continued cultivation of crops or plants while a judicial review of their non-regulated status is underway. Since H.R. 933 simply extended prior provisions and spending levels, the Monsanto rider was unfortunately included in the funding resolution. This was signed into law on Tuesday, March 26, 2013, but it will expire on September 30th.
As you may know, the Senate is currently negotiating with the House of Representatives on a Continuing Resolution for appropriations to fund the federal government. However, you will be pleased to know that the Senate version of the Continuing Resolution explicitly prevents the extension of the so-called Monstano rider. As Congress continues work on legislation to provide funding for the 2014 Fiscal Year, I will be sure to keep your opposition to this provision in mind.
My best wishes to you.
United States Senator
- Senate CR to strip Monsanto rider (politico.com)
- Victory: Senate to Kill Monsanto Protection Act Amid Outrage (naturalsociety.com)
- Senate to Kill Monsanto Protection Act Amid Outrage (americankabuki.blogspot.com)
- Senate to Kill Monsanto Protection Act (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- The People Triumph Over Biotech: Monsanto Protection Act Defeated in Senate (theorganicprepper.ca)
- Monsanto Protection Act Dies In The U.S. Senate (organicauthority.com)
- VICTORY!! Senate to Kill Monsanto Protection Act Amid Outrage (2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com)