When I was out on calls as a firefighter, I saw our community’s needs were not being met – that’s why I ran for the state legislature and took on the tough fights. It’s why I was selected by my peers to serve as Speaker of the Assembly. Every single day I served, I was answering the call – working to make life better for families, seniors, and students.
Now as a husband and father to Jackson, Jillian and Jameson, I’m thinking about the future more than ever. Cresent Hardy isn’t getting the job done protecting that future. I’m a proud Democrat running for Congress, because I’m answering the call for Nevada families – just like I’ve always done.
I want to be clear with you about my priorities, and what my campaign will be talking about between now and November 2016.
- Priority number one must be creating good-paying jobs that can support a family. I’ll work to create good-paying jobs by rebuilding the American manufacturing base, supporting the entrepreneurs and small businesses that power the engine of our economy, and fighting for investments in infrastructure that create jobs, strengthen our national security, and increase our competitiveness in the global economy for generations to come.
- I’ll fight to give working families a fair chance. The playing field has been tilted against working families for too long – that’s why we need to put an end to unfair trade deals, raise the minimum wage, and provide tax relief for working families instead of tax breaks for the big guys.
- We must invest in education and expand opportunity for all of Nevada’s children. I know what a difference education made in my life, and how important it is to the economic future of this state. We’ve got to make sure every school in every neighborhood has the resources needed to make sure every single child gets a good education from the start. We have to find a way to make college more affordable so young people can get the education they need, and aren’t crushed by a mountain of debt.
- I fully support the Affordable Care Act. I’m glad the Supreme Court kept it intact, and I will defend it against those who continue to try to undo the law and jeopardize the health care coverage of thousands of Nevadans.
- Our immigration system is badly broken and it’s holding us back. I’m going to defend President Obama’s executive actions on immigration and fight for comprehensive immigration reform until we get it done – it’s time to stop breaking apart families.
- Being a champion for women and protecting their reproductive freedoms isn’t political for me – It’s personal. I’m Eileen’s son, Janie’s husband and most importantly, Jillian’s dad. I will demand women receive equal pay for equal work. I trust women to make their own healthcare decisions, and I’ll fight tooth and nail against attacks on women’s reproductive rights.
- We must honor the sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made fighting for our country. In Congress, I will fight to make sure all veterans and their families have access to the best health care, including mental health services, and the job opportunities they deserve. No American veteran should ever sleep on the street.
- I’ll fight to keep the promises we make to America’s seniors. I’ll stand up to the right-wing attacks on Social Security and Medicare and protect those benefits so Nevadans who have worked hard and sacrificed can have the retirement security they deserve.
- Nevada isn’t a nuclear waste dump. As a first responder, I’m adamantly opposed to Yucca Mountain. I won’t jeopardize the public health and safety of our community.
- Our democracy shouldn’t be for sale to the highest bidder. The Supreme Court went too far when it struck down our campaign finance laws and unleashed a flood of unregulated dark money into our elections. We need to rein in the corporations and billionaires who are trying to buy our elections by restoring reasonable limits on political spending. That’s why I’m supporting an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to overturn Citizens United and protect our democracy.
Congressman Cresent Hardy has the wrong priorities. I know I can do a better job for those of you in NV-CD4. I hope you’ll join me in this effort, and I look forward to talking more with you as the campaign unfolds.