— by Catherine Cortez Masto
It’s been almost a month since the election, and I still feel incredibly grateful for everything this team did to help us win. After meeting my future colleagues in the Senate a few weeks ago, I’m more eager than ever to head to Washington and fight for our values.
Our government is built on a system of checks and balances, and I promise you this: I will be one hell of a check and balance on President Donald trump.
Our fight is one for our future and the America we know it should be. And nobody is going to take that away from us. It is our voices, our mass, our people, and we are going to continue to fight:
- Hate has no place in the White House. If trump is serious about being a president who brings this country together, he must set an example.
- Enough with the tax breaks for corporations. Enough with the tax breaks for Big Oil. How about we give a tax break to working families?
- Dark money is a threat to our political system. Overturning Citizens United is only the first step to ridding politics of money. Climate change is real. We must protect our precious resources, including the air we breathe and the water we drink.
- Social Security and Medicare are promises. I will oppose any attempts to cut or privatize Social Security and to turn Medicare into a voucher program.
- Our diversity is our strength. As the first Latina senator, I will use my seat at the table to fight for diversity.
- Building walls is NOT the answer. We must pass comprehensive immigration reform with a pathway to citizenship. Until we do, I will do everything in my power to keep families together and protect important programs like DACA.
- We are union strong. Working men and women built this county.
- The fight for pay equity is not over. Women should earn the same as men for performing the same job.
I am so honored to have been chosen to fight for you in the United States Senate, and we have a lot to fight for. I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and be that warrior for you, but I’ll need you standing by me every step of the way.
If you haven’t already, join me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and then add your name to say you’re all in for the fights ahead.
¡La Lucha Sigue! The fight continues!