— Anna, Victoria, Bobby, Manny, and the rest of the team
Officials from Republican Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s administration have raided Planned Parenthood health centers across the state, demanding the confidential records of women who visited the health centers, including ultrasound records. The news is especially alarming for a state with an extensive history of criminalizing abortion.
And the raids came just three days after Gov. Abbott announced that the state will end the one remaining source of government funding for Planned Parenthood—funding to provide health care for families earning less than 19 percent of the federal poverty level, or $3,760 for a family of three.
In total, seven states have eliminated funding for Planned Parenthood since the summer despite having done nothing wrong. And the U.S. House of Representatives recently passed a special budget bill to defund Planned Parenthood that cannot be blocked in the Senate using the filibuster, which is how other bills have been stopped from attacking the organization.
MoveOn.org has put together a plan to fight back:
- Turn up the heat on vulnerable Republican senators running for re-election next year by holding events outside their in-state offices and running powerful social media campaigns targeting them for waging a war on women.
- Run a hard-hitting media campaign to expose the attacks on Planned Parenthood for what they are: propaganda designed to close down health clinics and ban abortion.
- Ramp up campaigns in the next set of states where Republicans are going after Planned Parenthood funding.
We simply cannot allow anti-abortion extremists to destroy an organization that helps so many people—or to roll back women’s rights and access to health care.
Planned Parenthood is under an all-out assault. But our fighting back has made a huge difference, including helping stop bills to defund Planned Parenthood in the U.S. Senate. Specifically:
- I recently traveled to Washington, D.C., where I met in person with Senators Elizabeth Warren and Harry Reid to bring them 1.2 million signatures from MoveOn members and key partners supporting Planned Parenthood.
- We flooded Senate offices with 10,000 phone calls.
- We ran ads highlighting how Planned Parenthood has helped individual MoveOn members.
- We partnered with Planned Parenthood to organize 138 rallies and other visibility events across the country on #PinkOut Day last month.
- And, on the state level, we supported numerous MoveOn members in leading petition campaigns and other organizing to stop their states from defunding Planned Parenthood.
Now, we need to show that attacking Planned Parenthood is a political loser and will cause vulnerable Republicans running for re-election next year to lose support among women. We know this strategy can work because Planned Parenthood is enormously popular. And we’ve used this strategy before and won: The Republican War on Women is a big reason why Todd Akin and Mitt Romney lost their elections in 2012.
- Planned Parenthood battle heats up after Texas raids [Al Jazeera]
- Texas Orders Health Clinics to Turn Over Patient Data [NY Times]
- Texas Raids Planned Parenthood Offices Across The State [Huffington Post]
- Texas Inspector General Officials raid Planned Parenthood Clinics [Breitbart] <—RW Perspective
- State Investigators Raid Planned Parenthood Clinics in Texas [Slate]
- Texas officials raid Planned Parenthood clinics [LifeSiteNews] <—RW Perspective